Sunday, 5 October 2014

Find joy in the ordinary | lifestyle


After summer, whether it was a short sun break, just some time away from work or study or month long travelling adventures, despite the warm scents of chai lattes and excitment for pumpkin carving, it can sometimes leave your heart feeling a little less full than all the excitment of Summer. This October I have decided to do something every single day to make me smile, whether it's big, small, alone or with friends, I'm going to do all of the things we're all guilty of saying we wish we could do but never get round to it. 


This week I was craving a trip to the Park. I absolutely love the Fall colours, the crunch of the leaves and the slightly fresher air, so I text a friend and we made a date. 




We walked around the park, spending maybe a little too long hogging the children's play area, but we had so much fun. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, seriously try just playing on the equipment ignoring the fact it's way too small and laugh at how difficult it has become now we're adults.



As Baz Luhrman says, try something every day that scares you. That doesn't have to be jumping out of a plane or getting up on stage, it can be throwing aside the laptop, the phone, the iPad and just forget about responsibility for just a few hours and you will feel so much more refreshed afterward.



I know that many people disagree with this statement and sometimes it is just a bad day, but the quote 'Happiness is a choice' is something I think we should all really think about. Having just turned 23 I'm having what me and my friends have dubbed 'a quarter life crisis'. It's that transition from being a carefree teen/early twenty something to being in your mid twenties. That may not seem like a big deal, but I got myself in a bit of a slump about what I 'should' be doing and what I 'should' have achieved so making a decision to actually live my life in the present and be happy is a choice I've made and so far it's a lot nicer than stressing all day.



That's where 'Finding the Joy in the Ordinary' comes in, if we're always looking for happiness thinking it will come when 'this is sorted' or 'this is finished' we're going to miss so much, so a walk in the park with a best friend can become an amazing day if you take all the little things in around you and enjoy the moment.


I am grateful I am at a stage in life that allows me to do this, but I also truly believe everyone should make time for themselves no matter what. 


We even stumbled across a Ping Pong table, which I am notoriously bad at but it made for some funny slo-mo footage. 



I understand it's not always possible, but even if it's for just one day, say 'Today is going to be a good day' and just take it moment by moment enjoying whatever comes your way.

Until next time, 

Love&Kisses, 

Mel

P.S It helps if you have an awesome companion like Miss RainyDayFaces herself ft in this post.

4 comments:

  1. I needed to read this post! I've been recovering from a really bad few anxiety months and one of the best things I've realised is that finding happiness in the smallest things is actually really easy. It looks/sounds like you had so much fun!

    Lauren x
    http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much Lauren, anxiety is so much more than people can understand so starting to find happiness even in one small thing is great! Hope you feel better soon! Keep smiling!

      Thanks for reading,

      Mel xx

      Delete
  2. You're never too old to go to the park, and play on the swings! I'm so pleased that doing something as simple as this, made you so happy. I definitely can relate to finding joy in the ordinary as I live with a chronic illness which leaves me incredibly restricted in life, and I can only get out a few times a month, so for me a trip to the park with a friend would be as big a deal as going to see Beyonce live followed by a meet and greet with Beyonce would for a healthy person! Being able to find joy in the simple things is a blessing, it makes me pleased to see people going back to the simple life and still having a great time. Lovely post!

    Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Hayley, thank you so much for commenting, we can all get wrapped up in silly little things so it's great to be grateful for what we do have an can do. I hope you are given some relief soon but it is amazing you're so positive and that's the best way to try and face all situations and I take people like you as a great inspiration when silly things get to us! I hope to keep appreciating the small things and hope you will too!

      Thank you for reading,

      Mel x

      Delete