Wednesday, 27 August 2014

How to decide on where to stay while travelling | travel

When you're going travelling for an extended period of time or visiting different places on one trip, it can be really confusing deciding what the best options are for accommodation during your stay.

All of these tips can of course be applied to shorter vacations or breaks, but until I began planning a bigger trip I didn't realise how much more preparation was required. Some tips at where to begin planning can be found in my post here

1. Decide on your budget.


This is the best place to start and the biggest deciding factor in making the decision, as much as it's great to explore all the options, there is no point falling in love with a place that is way out of price range.

When looking at budget, it could be good to take into account a daily amount that you are willing to spend total. This includes food, attractions, travel and purchases, as well as accomodation. This way you can look at different stops along the way and decide which places you may have more money for actual accommodation those days, making sure you get the best option for each location.

2. Look at how long you're going to be there.


It's good to consider how long you're going to be in one place when making a decision of where you want to stay. If you're going to be in one place for a reasonable amount of time you can save a considerable amount of money on food and washing if you decide to stay in a rental accommodation, using something like AirBnb (who I would recommend) is a great option. If you're not even too bothered about having a whole place to yourself just renting a room off AirBnB is a huge money saver with the benefit of meeting some cool people.

3. Location.


Once you have an idea of budget and what might be the best fit for length of stay, it's good to start thinking about where you want to stay. Which places do you want to be closest to and consider transport links to those places as well as looking into other factors of the area, such as are they good for your age, are you a couple or a group of friends and read blogs or guides as to where are the best spots for each kind of group of people. A huge consideration on my travels as well is safety.

4. Yelp/Trip Advisor.

 *
*

These are great resources and I talk from experience, trust what people say. Although there are always people that go on there just to moan about everything, believe the majority. When I was 18 I was told to ignore Trip Advisor reviews as 'they are just grumpy old people complaining', needless to say that was tour operator working on commission and I will never, ever make that mistake again.

5. Chose a hotel for the first night.


It doesn't have to be a hotel, it could be a hostel too or a BnB but I would always advise for the first night to stay somewhere where you can just safely dump your bags, get a shower and get some food. After a long haul flight, a night train or hours of driving, whichever way you decided to start your travels the last thing you want to have to do is, well anything, take time to get situated in the area and relax. Make sure you book in advance so you start the trip on the best foot and they're also the easiest places to get to when you don't know an area.

These seem like obvious steps to take, or some that might be done subconsciously but it's really worth taking time thinking about and working through each step when it comes to a longer trip to make sure you can just enjoy the adventure. I hope these maybe help or remind you of things to do, I know a lot of people like to go into it blind, but for myself the more planning you do at home the less things you have to do out there. Enjoy your travels!

Until next time,

Love&Kisses,

Mel

*Images are copy written Trademarks belonging to the featured companies, no rights associated with JustMelKate, no copyright intended.

2 comments:

  1. Choosing where to stay is such a difficult decision; thanks for this post. I do enjoy not having to think about anything before I step foot onto the plane and just play it all by ear, but my parents wouldn't dream of letting me do that. Though I am old enough to make my own decisions… Haha. I just think the backpackers holiday is so fun, sleeping in random hostels and night trains. With all this student debt there is no way I can afford a hotel any time soon! Rosemary x

    rosemaryofelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think travelling is a really personal thing and each place will have a very different vibe, for me and my friends we new in certain places we wanted a hotel, other places an apartment and in Europe I know hostels are awesome so it depends.

      Budget is a tough one, but through the planning process it helps to set a realistic goal!

      Thanks for reading,

      Mel x

      Delete