Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer | beauty

Hello Beautifuls,

A vital step in the look of your make up, making it stay, as well as protecting your skin, is primer. Embarrassingly, I was only invited to the primer party about 2 years ago, so I am still experimenting.


Most recently, I have been trying out the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. I have actually been using the Oil Free option as you get a small tube in the Smashox starter kits from Sephora. On the Smashbox UK website it's marketed as Photo Finish Light.


This is one of only two silicon based primers I have ever used. The other being  Bare Essentials Prime Time. 

Being silicon based, rather than sinking into your skin, it feels as though it creates a soft layer sitting on top of the skin. This just seems to make sense to me in my little brain, as surely to give your makeup a better finish and make it last, you would want to avoid making it sink in.

The characteristic soft light texture, was missing from the Prime Time primer and honestly made me feel like I was wearing a mask. So I was put of for quite a while, assuming all silicon based primers were that way, but when my normal primer ran out, I turned this little Smashbox in an emergency.



How do I use it?
I apply a little larger than a pea sized amount on the back of my hand and apply it to my face using my Real Techniques pointed foundation brush, from the core collection.


Below I took a picture of the primer smoothed on to the back of my hand to show how it mattifys and evens out skin tone before even any makeup is applied.


What does it do?
It creates an even, matte surface for the makeup to bond to giving a overall more even look as well as, holding makeup on the skin a lot better. 

The Results?
Flawless looking skin for longer.

Would I recommend it?
100% yes. As we come to spring, summer wearing less makeup, I feel this will sit lightly on your skin and because it is oil free, will protect you from any unwanted shine on those extra hot days.

Until next time, 

Love&Kisses, 

MelKateB xo






6 comments:

  1. I have not tried it but your skin looks lush here - maybe I should be trying Primer now that I am getting closer to 30! lol

    Be great if you could check out my latest camouflage & monochrome outfit post here

    Thanks! Charlie xx LurchHoundLoves.com | UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check it out lovely!.. Thanks for the comment, yeah give primer a try I feel weird without it now!

      Mel xx

      Delete
  2. Your skin looks great! As a chemistry student, I'm not sure about the whole silicon side of this primer, it's pretty toxic for the face in the long run, but I guess it's just a small amount! :)
    xx
    FebruaryGirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh really, I will have to look into it! All these things these day hah!

      Thanks for the comment :)

      x

      Delete
  3. Your skin looks so flawless - you have a gorgeous complexion and this primer sounds great! What foundation have you used with it if you don't mind me asking? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's make up trickery believe me!.. My foundation is Mac Studio Sculpt in NC20 w/ Mac Studio Finish Concealer.

      They are a great combo, thanks for reading..

      Mel xo

      @MelKateB

      Delete